25th - 28th March 2021
All concerts and recitals will be available to view for free on our website, Facebook page and YouTube channel from the date and time specified.Download Programme Book
Measha Brueggergosman (soprano)
Li-Wei Qin (cello)
Kirill and Alexandra Troussov (violin, piano)
Join us for an evening of world-class music-making from across the globe featuring the award-winning Canadian Soprano, Measha Brueggergosman; one of the most sought-after cellists of his generation, Chinese Australian Li-Wei Qin; and the brilliantly virtuosic sibling duo Kirill and Alexandra Troussov from Germany.
Li-Wei Qin (cello)
J. S. Bach: Cello Suite No. 1 in G major
Kirill Troussov (violin) and Alexandra Troussova (piano)
Beethoven: Violin Sonata No. 3 in E-flat major, 1stmovement
Saint-Saëns: Havanaise in E major, Op. 83
Tchaikovsky:Valse-Scherzo in C major, Op. 34
Measha Brueggergosman (soprano)
Bliss and Spafford: It Is Well With My Soul
Spiritual:There is a Balm in Gilead
Hymn:Be Thou My Vision
Spiritual:Down By the Riverside
Internationally-renowned Irish pianist Barry Douglas joins us for a very special recital featuring some of the greatest in Russian romantic piano music; Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Rachmaninov and Mussorgsky.
Recorded exclusively for the 2021 Walled City Music Festival in the Great Hall, Ulster University Magee, don’t miss this brilliant and bold performance by the piano virtuoso.
Tchaikovsky: The Seasons Op. 37a: January, October, December
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet, Op. 74, Nos. 4 and 6
Rachmaninov:Moments Musicaux Op. 16, Nos. 4 and 5
Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition
Jeffrey Zeigler (cello)
Andy Akiho (steelpan)
Sean Dixon (drums)
Lynne Procope (poet)
Jeffrey Zeigler and Friends is a collaborative exploration of meaning and conversation. Expect a blend of hard driving rhythms and biting social commentary that utilizes steelpan, cello, drums, and poetry/vocals.
Drawing from a variety of musical styles, this group forms a brash symphony that nods the head, moves the feet, and asks viewers to challenge and disturb their own comfort. The resulting work is a bold narrative about people, justice, struggle, joy, and celebration.
Filmed exclusively for Walled City Music Festival in National Sawdust, NYC and Yamaha Artist Centre, NYC.
The Walled City Music Festival is thrilled to present this stunning collaboration of music and dance in partnership with the Arizona State University Dance Faculty.
Featuring traditional Irish music performed and recorded in An Culturlánn (Derry), and music composed by Irish composers Linda Buckley, Greg Caffrey, Jonathan Nangle and Christopher Norby, and violinist/composer Daniel Roumain, this performance will be a very special spectacle of modern dance, hip hop and salsa to close the 12thWalled City Music Festival.
1. Greg Caffrey: Honk, performed by Christopher Creviston (soprano saxophone) & Hannah Creviston (piano), choreography and dance by David Olarte
2. Linda Buckley: Solas, poetry by Doireann Ní Ghríofra, performed by Cathal Breslin (piano) and Sabrina Hu (flute), modern dance choreographed by Keith Thompson, dancers Kayla Anderson and Brayden Guentzel
3. Jonathan Nangle: Solas, performed by Jiji Kim (electric guitar), salsa choreography and dance by David Olarte and Carla Leon
4. Christopher Norby: Moviola Music, performed by Cathal Breslin (piano) and Sabrina Hu (flute)
5. Daniel Roumain: Seven Simple Solos, performed by Daniel Roumain (violin), modern dance choreographed by Mary Fitzgerald and Eileen Standley
6. Buí (performed and recorded in Cultúrlann, Derry) with modern dance choreographed by Carley Conder, dancers Lauren Jimenez, Emily Laird, Amy Symonds and Victoria Ward
7. Buí (performed and recorded in Cultúrlann, Derry), music remix by Lawrence “Reflekshin” Martinez with hip hop choreography by Jorge Magana (House), dancers Dominique “Domo” Brown, Mike “Mr.Groove” Cruz and Ruby Morales
Filmed in Cutúrlann (Derry), Arizona State University and Desert Botanical Gardens (Phoenix, Arizona)
Composer Panel: Ed Bennet (N. Ireland), Fernanda Aoki Navarro (Brazil), Christopher Norby (N. Ireland) and special guest Chen Yi (China)
Aspiring composers have been invited to submit previously unperformed scores and ideas for review and feedback from this international panel of leading, renowned and experienced composers.
Live-stream plenary session with all participants, Facebook, 7.30pm
Featuring interviews with cellist Jeffrey Zeigler, poet Lynne Procope, choreographers Carley Conder and Bboy House (Arizona State University Dance Faculty), soprano Measha Brueggergosman and composer Frank Lyons (N. Ireland). Hosted by Co-Artistic Directors Cathal Breslin and Sabrina Hu, this series will be available to listen to on all standard podcast platforms and the Walled City Music Festival website.
Thursday 25 March, 12pm
Friday 26 March, 12pm
Saturday 27 March, 12pm
Jeffrey Zeigler and Lynne Procope
Sunday 28 March, 12pm
Carley Conder and House Magana
Enjoy this recap of thrilling performances from the 2020 Walled City Music International Online Piano Competition, which featured over 40 participants from 17 different countries worldwide, and guest jury members Awadagin Pratt and Barry Douglas.
Friday 26 March, 2pm
Round 1 Highlights
Saturday 27 March, 2pm
Sunday 28 March, 2pm